Tenant FAQs

Below is a list of helpful questions for Keene Housing tenants. Click on your question in the list below to jump to the full answer.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When is my rent due?

    Rents are due on the first of each month. Keene Housing will issue a lease violation and assess a late fee when rent is not paid by the 5th of the month. Rent not paid in full by the end of the month that it is due may result in KH pursuing eviction proceedings.

  • How does KH determine my portion of rent?

    A household’s portion of rent is determined based on income and program type.

  • How do I add or delete someone from my lease?

    The Head of Household must notify their Property Manager if they’d like to add or delete someone from their lease.  Property Managers help residents through the process.  Any potential new households members (excluding additions by birth or adoption) are screened by KH to make sure that they meet KH’s eligibility criteria. Please note that if changes in household composition result in the household becoming overhoused (in a unit with more bedrooms than the household is eligible for), the household may be required to move into a smaller unit or pay the difference in subsidy for the unit.

    Details on KH’s policy for adding or deleting household members are available in the Tenant Selection and Occupancy Plan or the MTW Administrative Plan. If you need additional assistance please contact your Property Manager.

  • How do I apply for a transfer to another unit or development?

    Residents can apply for a transfer from their Property Manager. Transfers are approved based on need and availability. Households must meet all eligibility requirements for the new unit.

    Details on KH’s transfer policies are available in the TSOP.

  • What do I do if something isn’t working properly in my apartment?

    Residents can submit a work order KH 24-hours a day by phone at (603) 352-6161 or online from the property page at the bottom of this page. Describe the issue and a work order will be created.

    Emergency work orders must always be called in and will be responded to immediately. Emergency work orders are those that must be addresses immediately. Examples include, but are not limited to, no heat, no hot water, no electricity, water leaks, smoke alarms going off or not working, or being locked out of the unit.

    Non-emergencies issues will generally be addressed within 1-2 days during normal business hours.

  • Do I need a permit to park in my development’s parking lot?

    Each KH development has its own parking policy, but generally residents do need a permit to park in a KH lot.  Residents should see their Property Manager to apply for a parking permit.  Each development’s parking policies are included in the Lease Packet residents receive at move-in.

  • Can I have pets in my unit?

    Most properties permit one small caged animal, fish, and a cat in the unit. All pets must be approved by the Property Manager and pet owners must abide all conditions set out in KH’s Pet Policy. Households seeking an exception to KH’s Pet Policy due to disability must apply for a Reasonable Accommodation with their Property Manager.