Applicant FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply for housing?

    Read the information found in the How do I Apply? pages on this website. Once you are ready to apply you can download the pre-application, request a copy by phone, or pick-up a copy at our Central Office. You will be placed on our waiting lists as soon as we receive your completed pre-application and any requested documentation.

  • What waiting lists are currently open?

    All waiting lists are currently open. Households interested in being placed on our waiting list should submit a complete pre-application to our Main Office.

  • How long is the wait for housing assistance?

    The wait on each list varies based on property and number of bedrooms requested. The current estimated wait times are:

    Property  Wait Length 
    Ash Brook 1 bdrm – 2 yrs
    Bennett Block Studio – 4 yrs; 1 bdrm – 4 yrs; 2 bdrm – 2 yrs
    Brookbend East 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Brookbend West 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Evergreen Knoll 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Forest View 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Harper Acres Studio – 3 yrs; 1 bdrm – 4 yrs; 2 bdrm – 2 yrs
    Meadow Road 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    North and Gilsum 3 bdrm – 1 yr; 4 bdrm – 1 yr
    Riverbend 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Scattered Sites 1 bdrm – 6 yrs; 2 bdrm – 2 yrs; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Stone Arch Village – Family 2 bdrm – 1 yr; 3 bdrm – 1 yr
    Central Square Terrace Studio – 3 yrs; 1 bdrm – 3 yrs
    Stone Arch Village – Senior 1 bdrm – 8 yrs; 2 bdrm – 6 yrs
    MTW HCV (Section 8) Minimum 2 yrs
    Mainstream HCV 2 years

    Please be aware, wait times are provided as an estimate only. KH cannot guarantee that any applicant will be housed within the time provided.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    Once we receive your pre-application, KH will send you a confirmation letter listing the waiting lists you were placed on or any issues that bar you from being put on the waiting lists you selected. You have 10 business days from the date the letter was sent to dispute any decision KH made regarding your application or submit any missing information.

    Once your household is active on our waiting list(s), you may call KH during business hours at (603) 352-6161 to find out your position on the waiting list(s). Please remember that it may take a year or more for a household to move to the top of a waiting list so your position may not change much from month-to-month.

  • What are the income eligibility requirements for housing assistance?

    Income eligibility limits for housing assistance program are set by the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as percentages of the local area median income. The incomes below are the maximum household income based on the number of family members in the household and the program in which you are applying. Only applicants who meet the following income limits are eligible. Additional eligibility requirements may apply.

    Keene Housing Income Eligibility Limits

  • What are KH’s Occupancy Standards?

    Keene Housing established occupancy standards to ensure that households of the appropriate size occupy a unit. The occupancy standards apply to both the housing and voucher programs and, in combination with the VPS, determines the maximum amount of subsidy a household may receive.

    KH’s occupancy standard requires spouses or domestic partners to share a bedroom. Domestic partners are defined as two people who live together and share a common domestic life but are neither married nor joined by a civil union. Households that require a change to KH’s stated occupancy standards may request a Reasonable Accommodation.

    Bedroom Size 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Min # of Persons 1 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Max # of Persons 2 2 4 6 8 10 12
  • Does KH have any admissions preferences?

    Yes, Keene Housing does have admission preferences. A complete list of admission preferences are found in Chapter 3 of the MTW Administrative Plan.

  • What if someone in my family does not have a Social Security number/card?

    It is required that Social Security numbers are submitted for everyone in your household at application, if they have a Social Security number. In addition, copies of Social Security cards for all household members are required at your eligibility appointment. If any family member does not have a Social Security number, they must submit a signed certification that they have no number. If you cannot find your card or you’ve never had a Social Security number, we will accept copies of documents that show your proof of eligible immigration status. You may also apply for a replacement card or new number through the United Stated Department of Social Security’s website.

  • What if someone in my family does not have a birth certificate?

    It is required that either birth certificates or passports be submitted for everyone in your household. If you cannot get the identification needed by your designated deadline, we will accept receipts of purchase showing that you’ve purchased a replacement birth certificate.

  • If my address or family composition changes while I’m on the waiting list, what should I do?

    You must notify KH, in writing, of any change of address or in change of family composition. Changes will be made prior to contacting applicants about their placement on the waiting list.

    If you do not notify KH in writing of a change of address and any correspondence sent to you is returned, or if you do not respond to a scheduled appointment or any request for additional information, you will be removed from all waiting lists and you will need to reapply for assistance.

  • I have a question that was not answered. Who can I talk to?

    Our website includes detailed information. You can also contact Keene Housing at (603) 352-6161 or

  • I just received a “Waiting List Purge Letter”. What is this?

    KH purges its waiting lists on a regular basis by sending a letter of continued interest to all applicants. You are required to fill out and return the letter by the date listed to remain active on our waiting lists. Households who fail to return the purge letter on time or who we cannot contact due to incorrect address information will be removed from all waiting lists.

    If you require assistance completing the purge letter or have any questions please contact KH at (603)352-6161.